11.16.2009

Le Choix du Roi

I read a pretentious book about by the pretentious writer Adam Gopnik a few years ago, the subject of which was the few years he pretentiously spent in Paris with his family. Most of it has skipped my mind, except for when they found out the sex of their second child and upon hearing, their Parisian friends would sigh and exclaim, "ah, le choix du roi!"

Which apparently means, to have a boy first (the heir) and then a girl (to marry off).

So the one thing that I carried away after reading this book many years ago was that oh, it would be nice to have a baby boy followed by a baby girl, and...

Andrew and I went to Yale today for the anatomy ultrasound as I'm almost 19 weeks along, and found out that Finn will have a little sister in April. She is growing nicely, already weighting just about 7 oz, which is sort of a relief as although I'm not exactly a maternity model I haven't gained near what I had by this point with Finn. I was going to upload the photo of the sonogram but it's pretty blurry so you'll just have to take my word for it: she's cute! Looks just like Finn did, actually. And 99% of other babies at this stage. We are really excited and looking forward to a lot of activity in the next few months - a big move, settling in and then preparing for little peanut part 2 to bless us with her presence.

6 comments:

Mom of AOCG said...

Hooray for Girl Grandchild Domination on the Wagoner side! :) (Audrey was rooting for a girl for you because of this!) Can't wait to meet her!!!!! Finn will be such a great Big Brother!

Elaine said...

When you were 19w with Finn you weren't chasing a toddler around, either. I gained 45 pounds with Helen, and only 25 with Alice. Granted, I had 3 fewer weeks cooking Alice, but still. Most of it was that I was chasing Helen around the second time when I had just sucked down the food with wild and reckless abandon the first time.

That and having to ASK for a snack when I was sentenced to my sofa. Kind of makes you be a little selective about how much food you really need.

Blessings on the little bambina, and I hope she continues to progress well!

Pokolodi said...

Yay for girls! Of course, yay for boys too, but what a blessing to have the experience of both! Congrats!!!

tisha_ts said...

Super excited for you. One of each--how special!

Auntie Ann said...

I wish you could have been at our knitting group last night when Grandma Barber made the fantastic announcement. Cheers were heard throughtout the church. How lucky you are to have one of each. Grandma is already getting patterns for little (Finola?). We are all anxiously waiting for your return to the Southern Tier of NY.
Love, Auntie Ann

Cheeky Baby said...

Oh. My. Goodness.
CONGRATULATIONS!! My heart is all fluttery for you guys! I bet you haven't stopped smiling since yesterday! (I fondly remember the feeling!) How absolutely perfect.