11.04.2011

music

Like a lot of families, we're really into music. We sing in the morning, we dance in the afternoon, we play instruments after dinner, we groove in the car. I'm trying to keep from having to listen to too much kids music (although with that being said, there's some really good kids music out there.) But right now in our car, the #1 rated CD is the soundtrack to The Sound of Music.

Finn was initially obsessed with "My Favorite Things" - which you may recall from a few months ago - next, he was on a "Lonely Goatherd" kick, which has recently evolved into a preference for "Maria." Although raise your hands if you've ever started your car and preschooler in the backseat has chirped, "Sixteen Going on Seventeen, please." He asks for those two songs all the time and Tess does too - although she also refers to "Maria" as "Lamb Song" or "Abbey Song" (which only makes sense if you know the lyrics. Suffice to say... I know the lyrics.) Last week I was trying to skip through some songs to get to the end, being rather sick of the whole CD, and I stumbled upon the organ-heavy version of "Maria" that accompanies her walk down the aisle. Finn literally gasped and said, "THIS IS EXACTLY THE SONG I WANT TO HEAR" so I explained that this is the wedding song in the movie, blah blah blah, and when he realized it was a churchier version of "Maria" he almost lost it with excitement.

So I guess it's time to introduce them to the movie, which I'm actually VERY excited about. It's also time to find some new music for the car!

3 comments:

Penelope said...

You're singing my tune. Word to the wise. Get the DVD, and show the "fun" parts - lonely goatherd, do a dear, and the cuckoo song at the party were Penelope's favorite parts at 2/3. The whole movie is a bit scary. I FINALLY sat down with Penelope and showed her the whole thing a month ago. Still pretty tricky, trying to explain the politics and such but she was ready for much more of it and LOVED the wedding. Like mom, like daughter! Wish I could meet your kids these days.

Sonya said...

Oh wow will Aunt Judy be so proud to read this post!! I remember watching the sound of music and mary poppins with her and the cousin crew numerous times!!

tisha_ts said...

Your kiddos make me smile :)